Online Resources for Cosplay
Here's a list of the most frequented websites I use related to cosplay. This listing is slightly tailored for Canadians/Americans but many of the stores listed do ship internationally. [Square brackets] are used to indicate the store's country.
Currency listed is CAD dollars.
Farthingales [US/Canada] - Corset supplies including boning, coutil, tools, books and patterns
Elizabethan corset generator - To make your corset to your measurements. Plug in your numbers and it will tell you how to make a pattern.
Arda Wigs [US + Canadian Store]
- Price Range: $30-$90
- Color variety and unique styles
- Accessories and styling tools
Epic Cosplay [US]
- Price Range: $30-$70
- Color variety and unique styles
- No lacefronts
Wig is Fashion [China]
Price Range: $20-90
–Colour variety - mostly unatural colours / big selection of lacefronts
Cosplay Wig USA / Gothic Lolita Wigs / Rockstar Wigs [US]
-Price Range: $30-100
-Colour variety and custom styles
-Market tailored: by that I mean they have specific wigs for specific geek communities "Lolita wigs" for example.
eBay.com , Aliexpress.com , and Taobao.com [mostly China]
- You can often find character specific wigs on these sites
- Check feedback before ordering and consider shipping times. Two or more months in advance is a good idea.
- Quality greatly varies - watch out for sellers who have multiple watermarks belonging to other stores
- Unless you can read Chinese characters, I suggest using a reseller for Taobao. They charge a fee to process orders on your behalf
Note: The camera used to photograph the fabric and the calibration of your screen affects what the colour looks like on a monitor. When in doubt order a swatch if it's available.
CosplaySupplies [US/Canada] – Worbla, Transpart, wonderflex, Fosshape, friendly plastic
YayaHan.com [US] - Worbla
-Also be sure to check out local plastics stores in your area, you may be surprised at what you find. I get my styrene from a signs shops.
BUYING IN BULK
Beads, feathers, fabric, trims, lace, wigs, etc
- Check the feedback of the item before purchasing, which is conveniently found on the item page itself
- If you run into a problem with a product be sure file a complaint, you will likely get a partial refund.
-Check for coupons, they often have store specific and site-wide coupons.
eBay [Worldwide] - Check the store's feedback before purchasing and try to find feedback on your item.
Taobao – [China] You may have to order from a reseller who will charge you a handling fee.
-Has a great collection of tutorials broken down in categories and sub-categories, such as: Accessories, wigs, shoes, armour, dyeing, and sewing.
Replica Prop Forum
- Mostly props focused
- Look up people's builds and post questions
- Search available tutorials or post a question
- General how-to website that has many costume oriented step-by-steps
Google - Put your search skills to use
- Search "character name" AND "tutorial" to see what comes up
- Use different terms while searching for a tutorial
- Bilingual cosplayers, switch languages and see what results pop-up
21/4/2015 10:40:34 am
Great help, but, I would also add HoneyColour and Solution Lens for -$20+/- circle lenses, naturals, and Halloween/theatrical lenses.
13/7/2015 12:49:18 pm
I decide to do a cosplay at the last minute for otakuthon and I was wondering how long does it usually takes to receive your order from epiccosplay.com ?? And do you know if there is a custom fee on those articles ?
14/7/2015 06:04:01 am
14/7/2015 12:25:26 pm
Thank you very much !! :)
13/8/2019 02:27:04 am
thanks for sharing nice information
Leave a Reply.
MeltingMirror's Cosplay Blog
Learn more about my experiences in the cosplay world, from conventions to photoshoots and everything in between.